I’m available as a speaker, workshop leader or a competition judge. To find out my fees, or discuss your requirements, simply email me through the Contact page.
I offer workshops on:
- Writing sizzling short stories
- Wowing fiction editors
- The secrets of winning competitions
- Crafting the perfect twist-ender
- Plucking story ideas from thin air
- Knockout plots
- Dazzling dialogue
- Creating memorable and thrilling characters
- Mastering viewpoint
- Attention grabbing openings and endings
- Avoiding the most common mistakes.
I also run courses on writing and selling non-fiction books, how to make money from article writing and all aspects of journalism – from showbiz profiles to travel features.
Sessions can be as short as an hour or two, or run for an entire day (6-7 hours).
Feedback from my courses include:
- “The time flew”
- “Really excellent, friendly and approachable”
- “What a talented guy – and great on delivery”
As a public speaker, I talk about all aspects of creative writing – but a favourite with writers’ groups is the tricks and techniques of impressing competition judges.
Feedback on my talks include:
- “What a fantastic speaker – so funny and informative.”
- “The best talks were Iain Pattison’s – learnt lots.””
- “A very entertaining and motivating speaker. Take notes if you can stop laughing long enough.”
And talking of judging, I offer a service where I act as adjudicator on comps of all sizes – both national and club-member-only contests, and can supply detailed judge’s comments and individual critiques on entries. I can also, depending on distance, attend winners’ nights to present prizes in person!
Happy competition clients include:
- The Writers Bureau
- Writers’ Forum Magazine
- NAWG – the National Association of Writers’ Groups
- SWWJ – The Society of Women Writers and Journalists
- Real Writers (regional judge)
- Global Writer
- Southport Writers’ Circle
- OWLS – Ormskirk Writers and Literary Society
- Thames Valley Writers
- Ayr Writers Club
- Flash 500